Aid To The Blind (AB)

Provides a public assistance grant without Medicaid to clients age 18 or older, legally blind by Colorado statutes. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

Aid To The Needy Disabled (AND)

Provides a public assistance grant without Medicaid to clients 18-59 years of age, considered disabled by Colorado statutes. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

Burial Assistance

Provides a public assistance grant for burial, funeral and cremation services to recipients of most financial and medical assistance programs. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP)

Provides child care assistance to participants who meet income eligibility guidelines and are in an eligible activity/program. Licensed or unlicensed care may be subsidized depending on compliance with state rules and regulations. Participants are given referral information on child care providers as well as guidelines on choosing a child care provider.

Child Support Enforcement (CSE)

Establishes and enforces court ordered child support obligations that require non-custodial parents (parents who are out of the home) to help pay for the financial and medical support of their children. CSE Services are available, free of charge, to current and former public assistance and Medicaid recipients to eliminate or reduce the need for public assistance ad help repay the Public Assistance Fund. Federal statutes also require CSE services to be available to non-public assistance recipients for a fee ($20 in Colorado) to promote self-sufficiency and avoid public assistance expenditures.

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)

TANF is the name of the federal public welfare program. In Colorado, TANF is also called Colorado Works. TANF providers temporary cash assistance, and other assistance options to families with children under age 18 who meet the requirements f the program. TANF is not an entitlement program and is subject to availability of funds. Participants are subject to a 24-month time limit to be engaged in a work activity as well as a 60 month lifetime limit, an are required to enter into an Individual Responsibility Contract with the County that specifies the terms and conditions under which they may receive assistance. Grandparents or other relatives may receive TANF cash assistance for children under their care through a program called Child Only TANF. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

Employment First (EF)

Is a program that helps Food Assistance work registrants find suitable employment. The program goal is accomplished in several ways: through employment workshops which include self assessments, application and interviewing techniques, individual meetings with counselors, training and education provided by other agencies. Emphasis is placed on participants taking responsibility for their own job search. The program encourages participants to acquire the education and training they need and provides the job search techniques necessary for participants to become self-sufficient.

The Employment First Program also has a Workfare component, whereby Food Assistance recipients perform work in exchange for food benefits. Workfare participants will be given job opportunities, learn valuable work habits, and obtain job experience that can be used on a resume.

Food Assistance Program (FA)

Formerly known as the Food Stamp Program assists low-income households with monthly food benefits. This program is a supplement to the households nutritional needs for the month. Eligibility based upon the household’s income, resources, household size, and shelter costs. Benefits are given to eligible households through the Colorado Quest Card. Certain food assistance recipients will be referred to the Employment First Program for assistance in employment and training needs.

Home Care Allowance Program (HCA)

Allows for a small monthly payment to be added to a public assistance grant which can be used to hire a personal care attendant. Financial guidelines must be met, however per State law, no new applications can be taken for HCA after July 1, 2002.

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

Provides financial assistance to low income households to help pay part of their winter home heating cost. Assistance is given to those households who pay directly to a utility company or those who have heat include in their rent. There are other requirements for subsidized housing. Income limits are set at 185% of poverty. Applications are taken from November 1 through April 30. LEAP can also assist with home heat system repairs.

Old Age Pension (OAP)

Provides a public assistance grant and medical assistance (either Medicaid or the Colorado Health and Medical Program) to clients age 60 or older. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

Supplemental Security Income/Colorado Supplement (SSI/CS)

Provides a public assistance grant and Medicaid to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients. Income and resource guidelines must be met.

State Link: