Contact Information

Department of Social/Human Services
8900-C Independence Way
Alamosa, CO 81101

Phone: 719-589-2581
Fax: 719-589-9794

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Click here to contact us.

Food Assistance

Food Assistance is a program to assist with the cost of food. Anyone may apply. If you are eligible, you must receive your benefits within certain time frames (see “Processing Time”). If you need food right away and you meet certain guidelines, you may be eligible to expedited Food Assistance.


You may immediately file an application with the applicant’s name, address and signature of a responsible household member or household’s authorized representative. Benefits will be paid from the filing date. The filing date is different if the household is in an institution and applying for Food Assistance and SSI at the same time. In this case, the filing date is the date of release from the institution. The filing date is the date your application is received in the food stamp office.


The food stamp house hold must have an interview; the interview may be over the phone. You can leave the first page and take the application home to complete. You can then bring, mail or fax the application to the food stamp office.


You may use an authorized representative to apply for food assistance and another, separate authorized representative to use your EBT card.


Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 allows the State to ask for racial/ethnic information. You do not have to state your racial/ethnic information and not giving the information will not affect the application. An Alamosa County Department of Human Services employee will complete this information if it is not answered. You have a right to request a fair hearing orally or in writing if you disagree with any action taken on the case.


Food Assistance Eligibility

Individuals and/or families can get Food Assistance if they meet certain income requirements, click here to find out income requirements. Examples of income are money you get from employment, child support, unemployment or Social Security.  The person or family also cannot have more than $2,000 in resources.  If the household has elderly and/or disabled members, then they cannot have more than $3,000 in resources.  Examples of resources are money in your bank accounts, or your retirement plans or investments.  Income and resources from your husband/wife (legally married or common law) count.  Also any income and resources for children count. 


Households with resources that do not exceed $100 and who have less than $150 in gross monthly income in the month of application may be able to get their application processed faster.


If you want to find out if you may be eligible for help, you can complete the on-line tool.  Select "Start Tool" when you access the web page.


To apply, you have to turn in an application.  Every once in a while you will have to apply again to make sure you are still able to receive the monthly payment.


You can get an application three ways:

  • Print one off from the Colorado State Department of Human Services 
  • Pick-up an application at the Alamosa County Human Services Office
  • have an application mailed to you by calling the Alamosa County Human Services Office